This is my favorite song of the summer for several reasons:
- Sticks and stones can break my bones, but words can maim and kill.
- Bullies intimidate thoughtful people into silence.
- Open dialogue is the pathway to understanding.
- Fear is paralyzing but can be overcome.
- I need to hear what you have to say.
- Sara recruited regular people to dance in her video; there is hope for me.
I am one of those people who needs more than a moment to construct my thoughts so that my words offer wisdom instead of nonsense. The fear of saying the “wrong” thing sometimes causes me to stay silent when what I am forming in my mind is actually kind of helpful. It is frustrating missing the moment and then feeling poorly because I withheld a valuable word. I just need to be brave [in the moment], and also risk coming off less prepared, and even a little foolish. “My history of silence” won’t do me any good, and actually I don’t mind if others think I “took the wrong pill.”
I wonder how many young people around me want to say something but fear judgment, disapproval, or laughter. I’m going to be brave and listen in a way that invites others to say what they want to say.
“A person finds joy in giving an apt reply–and how good is a timely word!” Proverbs 15:23